Safety Tips for Walking & Jogging
Pacific Spirit Park is a wonderful location to spend your day or take a relaxing jog; however, safety should always be a top priority. Here is a list of tips compiled from City of Colombia, Missouri, Sierra Trading Post, and Running 4 Women:
- Stay alert! Leave your personal stereos off — they stop you being aware of what’s going on around you. Being able to hear your surroundings will allow you to notice someone you don’t see.
- Walk or jog with a companion.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Walk/jog confidently.
- Look people in the eye as you pass them. This lets others know you are aware of their presence.
- Wear shoes and clothing that allow freedom of movement.
- Carry a cell phone and have it turned on.
- Carry a whistle with you and make sure it is easily accessible.
- Vary the route you take. Do not take the same route every day.
- Let someone know when you begin your walk or jog. Tell them the route you will be taking and when you plan to return. Inform them when you do return.
- Trust your instincts. If you see someone who looks suspicious in any way, leave the area immediately.
- Take your own or borrow a dog — you’d be surprised at how canine company can alleviate boredom on a run and make any would-be attacker think twice before acting.
- When walking/jogging/cycling on your own, chose the busier trails in the park.